Thursday, March 11, 2010

flycatcher


Two years ago, a family of swallows built a nest on our back porch. Last year, a family of flycatchers moved in and raised their young. The day the babies perched on the edge of the nest and the parents fussed and fussed at them to jump, I put all the dogs and cats in the house to give them as good a chance as possible to make it. They all did and the whole family has stayed around and are doing as their name implies, I hope; catching flies. On a cold, drizzly day, this one perched on a branch in the rain long enough for me to take lots of pictures.
(I'm not 100% sure this is a flycatcher. There is not as much yellow on its breast as in the field guide photo. Maybe because it's winter. If you know exactly what kind of bird it is, please let me know.)

No comments: